Gallery

Tuesday 24 June 2014

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Jon Anderson, you're such a masterful polymer clay artist. Let me help you with a press package, I said. Silence.

Working as an art writer and Arts Editor for 2 Montreal newspapers, I noticed something curious and consistent. Most of the artists who were on top of their PR, and therefore got the most press, were often stronger on savvy (or budget) than artwork. When I moved from newspapers to magazine work, I had more time to troll for great art. Nothing was quite as thrilling as the serendipity of finding an undiscovered talent.

Jon Anderson Polymer Clay Artist

When a writing assignment brought me to Bali, I met Jon Anderson. We talked about what I did, but he kept silent on the subject his own work.

Jon Anderson, polymer clay artist, maker of (now renowned) Fimocreations Fimo Animals, and other innovative fimo art, you must help me put together a press package for you! I said that on and off for about 10 years. Crickets. I finally stopped asking.

Jon Stuart Anderson I am entering you in the prestigious International Polymer Clay Association Awards this year.

Despite this notorious recluse's persistent protests, I entered him in the competition. And he won.

Jon Stuart Anderson won the 2014 IPCA Members' Favorite Award.

But here's the rub. After years of trying to convince Jon that time spent outside his studio (he's a workaholic) working on press events and publicity opportunities is time well spent, there's no record of his win, even on the IPCA site. Short of the email sent from the IPCA announcing his win, I can find no public record of it at all. So now I'm the wife who kicked the hornet's nest. For what? Crickets.

You can view the first-third place IPCA winners on judge and jury member Cynthia Tinapple's blog, Polymer Clay daily. First place went to a Staedtler company photographer, the makers of fimo. His reliquaries are no short of stunning. Every polymer clay artist and aspiring fimo art maker should have a look at the diversity of work that gets entered every year. Maybe you should enter your own work. Don't wait for someone like me to finally discover you. You never know what may come of winning an important competition.

I have been informed that Jon Anderson's trophy will be sent in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment